Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms thanks to its focus on in-the-moment photos and storytelling capabilities. With Facebook's acquisition of Instagram, U.S. nonprofits can now leverage the power of storytelling to boost engagement and donations.
Here's how the new functionality works:
1. From your organization's Facebook page, link your Instagram account. (You must be an admin to make this change.)
Voila! Community members can now use the "Donation" sticker in their Instagram stories. As on Facebook, you get 100% of the donations.
Since this will be new to most of your community, it's worth posting instructions on your social media feeds and in your newsletters. Here's how to do it:
- When users create a story they can add a donation sticker by tapping on a sticker icon from the pop up tray.
- When they choose a sticker they can select an organization to support.
- People can contribute without leaving the story, and after they donate the sticker flips over to show them a "thanks for donating" message.
- Fundraisers can watch the progress by swiping up on the story.
If Instagram donations are anywhere near as popular as Facebook fundraisers - Donate stickers could create a huge lift for nonprofits.
Topics: Updates and Functionality